Garden Waste Collections in Sheffield
We offer residents across the city a seasonal, chargeable Garden Waste Recycling Service
Save yourself trips to the Household Waste Recycling Centre - we will collect your green bin garden waste directly from your home every two weeks between March and November.
Sign ups for the 2023 service have now closed. Sign ups for the 2024 service will be available soon.
Sign up includes the collection service only. If you don’t have a green bin or need a replacement, we can deliver one for £32.
Here's a handy guide of what can and can't go in your green bin
- Grass mowings
- Hedge and Plant clippings
- Small branches
- Weeds and cut flowers
- Chipped bark
- Food waste
- Household waste
- Japanese Knotweed
- Plant pots and garden gnomes
- Plastic bags and packaging
- Soil, stones, rubble and sawdust
- Waste from professional gardeners
- Pond Weeds and residues
Please do not put any of the items below in your green bin as they cannot be accepted at the composting facility and may mean that your green bin will not be collected.
What happens to your garden waste?
Garden waste collected in Sheffield is processed within South Yorkshire. The green waste is turned into a soil conditioner/compost and is then used by commercial landscapers and local authorities.
Here is how they do it:
- Garden waste is shredded.
- The shredded garden waste is put into large piles.
- The garden waste generates heat as it breaks down into compost. This process kills any unwanted bacteria.
- The piles are then turned regularly to help bring in air to the composting process.
- After around 12 weeks, the compost is ready to be used as a soil conditioner.
Can I still recycle my garden waste for free?
Yes, you can at Household Waste Recycling Centres
Garden waste can be recycled for free at any of the five Household Waste Recycling Centres located across the City. To find your nearest site, please click here.